Sunday, August 2, 2009

Album of the Week: With The Beatles


With the Beatles
The Beatles


The second studio album (UK discography) from the fab four released on the 22nd of November, 1963.

Track listing:

1. It Won't Be Long
2. All I Gotta Do
3. All My Loving
4. Don't Bother Me
5. Little Child
6. Til There Was You
7. Please Mister Postman
8. Roll Over Beethoven
9. Hold Me Tight
10. You Really Got A Hold On Me
11. I Wanna Be Your Man
12. Devil In Her Heart
13. Money


Why I chose this:
I selected this fine piece of work because I'd never heard it before. Simple. This being the second album is also the second album for me in my Beatles journey, as I'm listening to all the Beatles albums in order of release (though I did listen to Magical Mystery Tour first to be honest). Anyway, this album is just great. The songs are short, tight and super catchy. They make the covers their own and better than the originals. I've only heard Chuck Berry's original of Roll Over Beethoven and it's great, but the Beatles cover is something else. Their original songs are more amazing, a taste of whats next I suppose. If you haven't heard this and you want half and hour of music that will make you happy, tap your toes and is just plain good... this is for you.

- Dogman

AotW Home

5 comments:

  1. Before we get on about the amzing music, that has to be one of their coolest album covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah man I'd never seen it until now it's so cool. I don't own any Beatles albums on CD yet, hanging for the new releases later this year...

    It wont be long yeah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect follow on from Please Please Me. Still got that raw sound from their live act but also shows their growing confidence as song writers. George gets his first song on an album with Don't Bother Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah I read that on Wiki! The vocals on Don't Bother Me are so cool, so dynamic. Actually one of my favourite songs on the album.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great hearing as they progress from blues to pop melodies. Don't Bother Me is a good example. Yes, that cover is amazing, so much mystery! "Who are these three dapper boys, and who's that creep in the bottom right?"

    ReplyDelete