Thursday, August 27, 2009

Album of the Week: Are You Experienced


Are You Experienced?
Jimi Hendrix Experience

The debut album for the English/American rock band. Are you Experienced was released on May 12, 1967.

Tracklist:

1. Foxy Lady
2. Manic Depression
3. Red house
4. Can You See Me
5. Love or confusion
6. I Don't Live Today
7. May This Be Love
8. Fire
9. Third Stone From the Sun
10. Remember
11. Are You Experienced?

Bonus Tracks on the version I have

Hey Joe
Stone Free
Purple Haze
51st Anniversary
The wind Cries Mary
Highway Chile

Why I chose this:

Ever since the Beatles first caressed my ears with the magic of music and taught me the wonders of the 60s I have been keen to hear some of the other great acts of the 60s and 70s. This led me to the likes of The Beach boys, The Who, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd among others. However, I always wanted to get into Jimi Hendrix but never seemed to get around to it. So I decided I would use AotW to kick start my Jimi Hendrix Experience. Their first album is Are You Experienced? and my answer to that question is: No. But in a few weeks I will be!

-Eden

6 comments:

  1. This May Be Love.

    Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to get into the album after 2 listens now. He takes guitar playing to new places.

    And anonymous is right, This May Be Love is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like This May Be Love, Eden, then you'll love Bold as Love & Little Wing from the album 'Axis: Bold As Love'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I'm starting to love this album so I'll get on their second one in a month or so I guess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listened to this twice now. Before I heard it I had this idea that I might not be able to enjoy it unless I was high or something (Hendrix had that stigma attached to it in my mind), but very much not the case and totally stupid to think that in hindsight. I feel like over the following weeks/months/years I'm gonna be finding more and more to like. Great pick Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man I love this album more every time I hear. It started a bit of a mash of music, but the genius shines through more every time. Not just the guitar but also the drums and bass.

    ReplyDelete