Sometimes when I'm looking around the internet I come across something that's really interesting. I thought it would be cool to colate some of these fact, figures, images, videos, whatever into an article, lets begin:
• The attosecond is one quintillionth of a second. To try and gain some perspective - one attosecond is to one second what one second is to the age of the universe. One attosecond is the time it takes for light to travel the length of three hydrogen atoms.
• Joe Kittinger: Watch
• There are between 50 - 100 billion neurons (cells) in the brain, which signal each other via approximately 100 trillion synanptic connections.
• The world population will rise about 80.2 million this year.
• This is really cool - Lightning in Slow Motion.
• The Beatles and Elvis have sold over 1 billion albums each. That's substantially more than anyone else.
• Snails have been known to live for 30 years, though generally no more than 10 - 15 years for most species in captivity. Also, the common snail moves at about 1 millimeter per second.
• This picture of a plane breaking the sound barrier: View
• The oldest tree in the world is the 4,841 year old "Methuselah" tree in California. Estimated date of germination - 2832 BC.
• One of my favourites to finish this off, its yet another video... What's with me and youtube videos? I am truly of the internet generation: Watch
I'm all big numbers... what's the go with that? Please comment if you have any interesting facts to share. I'll be adding more in the comments sections as a come across them, this is just a few that I remember and a couple I stumble across recently (this morning).