Thursday, May 6, 2010

Phisopholy

“Everything is defined by what we leave behind” - Lee Sullivan

The other night Lee and I were talking some deep philosophy. Usually when this happens we both have our own trains of thought and it is rare that we can truly understand eachother. It seems as if we feel an emotion attached to an idea in our heads but any attempt to articulate it results in confusion. At least that's what happens to me.

But on this occasion we struck a nerve when the concept of existence came up, and more specifically the idea that one day we will not exist anymore. It seemed almost impossible to grasp the idea that I wont exist. To deal with anything in life we react to it, so I kept trying to put myself in a hypothetical position to react to the moment when I don’t exist. But how can I react to it if I don’t exist. It was a unique contradiction to feel so close to grasping something that is impossible to grasp.

My next step was to apply some twisted logic to the situation. The only things that exist, to me, are what I experience, but I can’t experience death cos I’m dead…so death doesn’t exist? So there should be no reason to fear it, or worry about it.

Lee took the thought further. He started discussing the legacy that we leave behind. Although our immediate conscious will not live forever, our spark, our influence will be forever carried on by the chain of cause and effect. Our existence right now is the effect of an infinite causal chain, and we are just another link in that chain.

- Eden (while listening to Lee)

2 comments:

  1. Is your legacy to misspell Philosophy? (See article title...)

    The deepest thoughts are always the ones in which an answer is immediately obvious, such as that of life and death, but when thought about in a different way become all too confusing.

    I'm going to eat an apple and ponder a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. What you said about experiencing something for it to exist is pretty powerful, the old "If a tree falls in the forest and no-one is around to see it, did it really happen?" gag. (or was it what sound does it make if no-one is around to hear it?) I like the first one better.

    ReplyDelete