Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Alex Chilton R.I.P.

I discover new bands all the time. Some pass by me and I may never hear them again, and some stick around for a while. But only a few enter my heart the way that Big Star have. I discovered this amazing band in late 2008 and have been obsessed ever since. Alex Chilton is the lead singer, songwriter and he died of a heart attack a week ago. I have been thinking about him everyday since, and have been pretty messed up from it actually. I really didn't expect it to affect me the way it has. Big Star toured until the end of Chilton's life, and I know it sounds selfish but I really wanted to see them live and now I won't be able to. Waaaa. I just can't believe how lucky I am that those three albums exist, they'll stay with me forever. I'm not going to do a big write up on them because I would have to talk about every single track and I can't imagine talking about one and not another.

Alex Chilton, my hero, I'm sad you are gone, but I'll never stop listening to your songs. You were my age when you made them, and I'll always feel connected to you. Thank you for being a part of the runaway train that is rock and roll, I love you for it.

Watch The Sunrise

NPR story on Big Star from February 2010


- Lee

14 comments:

  1. el nice words locoMarch 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM

    nice words mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to hear about your loss dude. I don't think I've loved a musician who died (at least not at the time).

    Any album recommendations for these guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What show used this as a theme song?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx6XeBhZETg

    ReplyDelete
  4. El what was it called LocoMarch 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

    the greatest show ever made. its that show about the 70s. What was it called? that show in the 70s?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was just watching 'that 70's show'! yeh Cheap Trick covered the song for the show, and Big Star's version is on their first album, #1 Record. And Eden, absolutely start with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just realised this: in the Big Star version, it goes, 'Wish we had a joint so bad'

    But the Cheap Trick one goes, 'wish we had a number so bad'

    I wonder why they didn't leave the 'joint' line in, considering they smoke in the show. Censorship i guess. Luke, do they actually reference pot blatantly in the show? or is it just up to you to guess ( i.e. the smoke in the circle)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He should have changed his last name to Chilltown. We should all change our last names to something cool. Lee Smokenvan...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smokinvan is better. I'm the Hamish joke editor. Hamish Gout.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about these:

    Eden Clit
    Luke Bovloco ©
    Russell Rollerblades
    Rob Barton Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha Rob Barton Sullivan - another Hamish zinger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably should ©opyright that one too.

    ReplyDelete